Friday 28 February 2014

Sixteenth Day of Editing: Making the improvements from the feedback sheets to our OTS

In our feed back sheets, the last question was 'What improvements overall do you think we could make in order to improve our OTS?'

One of the answers was 'Lengthen the sound of the gunshot.' even before this answer me and Sophie have tried many different things to do this as we have noticed it finishes too suddenly; we have tried stretching the clip but instead of lengthening the sound it adds noises from the clip that we trimmed back in, we also tried changing the speed of the sound from normal to 'snail' speed and that distorted the sound too much that it didn't sound like a gunshot anymore, we have also tried overlapping the gunshot with the same gunshot noice twice but this also didn't work. We may try to record another gunshot sound, add it to our OTS and see if that sounds any better.

A second answer was 'I wondered if having the gunshot noise at the same time as the killer raises his arm would be more effective.' originally me and Sophie did have the gunshot at this point but having it when the music stops and just before the title of the film created more of an impact and we found more effective, plus it still makes sense, so we have decided to keep it where it is.

Another was 'The background noise.' particularly when me and Zach are talking in the wedding dress shop, however we needed to raise the sound of the clip up high enough that you can hear me and Zach over the music but also low enough that you don't hear the fuzzy, crackly background noise. I think me and Sophie have got the clip at a volume where you can hear both me and Zach but also not really notice any background noise.

Update: As one of our feedback repliers in the second focus group had mentioned making the sound of the gunshot last longer because it comes to a sudden stop, I tried finding new ways to make gun shot noises instead of a staple gun, my brother has two gunpowder balls which when she smack them together they make a sound similar to gunshot so I recorded the sound but a problem I faced was sending it to Sophie so that she could add it to our OTS because the recordings cannot be sent to anyone and I can't record it by video because adding a video to our OTS would play over top of our video. So I have asked if there is any way that she could try making a sound that sounds like a gun shot to add.

Update 2: I have found a recording app called 'QuickVoice' which I can record sounds on and send to Sophie in an email the recording of the sound for her to add to our OTS. So I tried making the gunshot sound with the two gun powder balls again and have sent it to Sophie in an email. Now, it is up to her to add to the OTS and decide whether it is any better than the gunshot sound we already have.
Recordings of the new gunshot foleying sounds.

Sending the recording to Sophie in an email.

IMG 5394[1] from Emily Smith on Vimeo.

Update 3: After trying the new recorded foleyed sound of a gunshot in our OTS it didn't work as well as the one we already have so we're keeping the original one. Above, is a video of what the new recorded sound sounded like in our OTS and as you can hear it sounds too weak to be a gunshot and doesn't really create an effect or impact.

No comments:

Post a Comment